Saturday 25 January 2014

Imbolc Approaches..........

As the title says, the Sabbat (or Festival) or Imbolc approaches, Feb 2nd is the traditional day to celebrate, traditionally it is a festival of returning light, the fires of Brighid are kept alight for the full day, the symbolism of the first Lamb's being born, an agricultural festival of the first births of the animals for the coming year, the Ewe's are 'in milk', hence the origin of its name.

And yet, although the first buds are appearing on the trees (or have been for the past 4 weeks), it doesn't feel like mid winter, it still feels autumnal, the weather feels strange, milder than it should be, a lot wetter than normal, stirrings are apparent in the countryside, the dawn chorus is louder than it has been, but for me it still feels as though we are yet to experience Winter, the Holly King may have been defeated, but he still has some power left. I would not be surprised to see snow before winter is truly out, my feelings tell me it will come, but whether it does or not I am sure only time will tell!

So, if you choose to Celebrate Imbolc, then I wish you well, may the light of the fires of Brighid warm your homes, may your first Lamb's be born healthy and may the seeds of the coming year's harvest receive good portents.

For me, I'm afraid Imbolc will be celebrated when it feels right, I know this isn't an accepted 'Neo Pagan' view, but my path is a Crooked One, where I walk as directed by the Old Ones, listening to and feeling the energies of the land and responding in the manner that feels right, if this means I am out of step with other Pagan's, then so be it, I am not one to follow the herd, but one who walks her own path, alongside those who also feel the same pull and honour the Old Ones in a similar manner.

1 comment:

Nick the grief said...

speaking as one of the Old ones all the blessing of the coming year to you and Mr D ... Hope you are both well ...I stumbleed on your page and thought I recognised you :)

Sich the Grief